30.10.18

Just this side of the wall

(All this starts with me sending the plane graffito to D4rw1n)

D4rw1n: Damn too soon?

b1-66er: I can understand why you'd say that, but i personally don't think so...is it too soon to wonder what the hell happened to your loved ones that never got explained and you'll never see again?

D: I guess that started immediately and probably won't ever end for the victims' families.

b: So...what do YOU think?  Is it too soon?

D: I take your comment as implicit criticism that I'm thinking of myself as much as them when I ask "too soon?"
I can see both sides of that
I'm the guy who initiated and moderated a fax bulletin board of Dahmer jokes starting the day he was caught 
So a bit of yes and a bit of no
When I saw the Banksy (?) piece you sent my mind first identified with the pain of loss and judged the art to be too soon 

b: That whole thing just creeps me out.  
We've both taken flights that could've been that one.
The plane disappears.  Government demands answers.  People wail.
And then?  Nothing.

D: Now when I look at it from a perspective you suggest (e.g., the art asks the questions the victims' families are probably asking) I can see it as positive 
Yes 
Everyone gone in a flash

b: It feels to me that 2 days after the incident wouldn't be too soon.
There's an interesting question there and that's one of intent.
Is it poking or prodding; or is it compassionate and demanding?

D:  Both? Plus protest and rage and guilt and despair
 It's a beautiful piece of art 
Even for just sparking this conversation 

b: EXACTLY.
 Very very few pieces of art hold that quality.
Especially now in the us-or-them world.

D: Right 
Good art 

b: Look closely again at it.  Look at the blurb on the far R.
Now tell me your impression.

D: Saw that too. It's part of the work. It's painted on the wall I believe 

b: Yes.
I THINK the guy in front is actually just walking past.

D: I had wondered about some of the other stuff. Like is the "Load Studio"  logo part of the work?
I was going to make the same joke 

b: If that IS a guy just walking past, the pic is perfectly timed -- maybe even staged.

D: Also there's a small trompe l'oeil within the trompe l'oeil (am I spelling that right? A word I learned from RJ): the airline logo is designed to look 3D. And it does, even in a 2d painting of a 2d painting. 

b: Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

sure, you can comment -- but why?